I am a PhD candidate in Natural Language Processing (NLP) at the University of Sheffield. I started at the Speech and Language Technology (SLT) Centre for Doctoral training (CDT) in September 2021. My focus lies in numerical reasoning especially how to evaluate and improve smaller accessible general-prupose model to enhance their numerical understanding in downstream tasks. My background is in mathematics and previously I was a mathematics teacher in a secondary school. I also taught French and English in Colombia.
Outside my work, I enjoy salsa dancing and other latino style dances. I have also started to knit. But above all, I love travelling and get to experience different cultures.
- Jasivan Sivakumar and Nafise Sadat Moosavi. 2023. FERMAT: An Alternative to Accuracy for Numerical Reasoning. In Proceedings of the 61st Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics (Volume 1: Long Papers), pages 15026–15043, Toronto, Canada. Association for Computational Linguistics.
- Sivakumar, J., Muga, J., Spadavecchia, F., White, D., & Can, B. (2021, December). A GRU-based Pipeline Approach for Word-Sentence Segmentation and Punctuation Restoration in English. In 2021 International Conference on Asian Language Processing (IALP) (pp. 268-273). IEEE.
Teacher of Mathematics
Sep 18 - Aug 21
Abbey College, Ramsey, UK
- Prepare and teach student from 11 to 18 years old, including look after their well-being.
- Lead key stage 5 courses by creating assessment and resource, focus on preparing students for university including entrance exams.
- Support teachers for up-skilling, train department in teaching and learning, mentor trainee teacher.
Aug 17 - Jun 18
Universidad de Sucre, Sincelejo, Colombia
- Teach French and English culture and civilisation modules, language skill course from A1 to C1 levels.
- Assist student teachers with practice program action-research project
- Prepare students for certification in both French and English.
Master of Arts in Computational Linguistics - Distinction
2020 - 2021
University of Wolverhampton, UK
Research title: Improved Sentence Embeddings Using GAT with Siamese Neural Networks on UCCA Semantic Parse Trees
Post Graduate Certificate in Education (Mathematics)
2017 - 2018
University of Cambridge, UK
Research title: An extended analysis of how scaffolding can help to build confidence in compound measure with a low ability year 9 class
Master of Mathematics with a study year in Europe (MMath) - First Class
2012 - 2016
University of Warwick, UK
Research title: A mathematical approach at analysing the influence of English in the French language